Monday, July 18, 2011

U.S. Women's Soccer

I have to admit, the only Women's World Cup game I watched was the final game yesterday. Die hard fan, right? Ok, not really, but I do love watching soccer and watched a ton of the men's cup last summer while I was in Europe. I was working during most of these games, so that is my excuse. The women on the US team are all tough and I was amazed at how athletic they all are. Um, Abby Wambach? Girlfriend is a beast in a good way. I was disappointed when we lost, because we dominated the game. However, the shoot out brought back very fond memories of the 99' World Cup and the women who were my heroes at 11-years-old.

I loved soccer growing up. I was nicknamed "big foot" on my teams when I was really young because I had a strong kick. I guess as I got older, my determination lacked that of others who really excelled. So, after not making varsity 2 years in a row in high school I quit. I know if I had worked harder and taken it more seriously I probably would have made it, but that's neither here nor there.


Childhood team picture, I'm second from the right on the bottom row
My short hair days... thanks mom! I'm on the left in the front

I digress... The 99' women's team had all of my heroes on it; Mia Hamm, Brandi Chastain, Michelle Akers, Shannon MacMillan, Sara Whalen and the list goes on. I remember having posters and wanting to be them and play as well as them. I makes me sad to see that not many little girls idolize strong, athletic women any more. It's all about pop stars these days (or so I gather from my two younger cousins). Don't get me wrong, B. Spears was my girl, but I didn't want to be her.

Can you even imagine how good she felt?

Images via Google Images

I don't know if this is just the new generation or that I am just clueless to the millions of little girls who don't idolize scantily clad women who dance around on stage singing in a voice so disguised with auto-tune you don't know what they really sound like. Does anybody else agree with me? I think there are FABULOUS female role models out there, but it doesn't seem like they get much attention.

Ok, end of rant about the direction our society is going in. All in all, it was a great game and I am still a US women's soccer fan. We'll get 'em next time. And, I think Japan winning is great for the moral of the country that has been through so much since the earthquake and tsunami.

Did y'all watch the game? Any other fans of the great women's soccer stars like Mia and Brandi? I know i'm not alone!

I hope y'all had a fabulous weekend! Mine was nice and relaxing!

ERK

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I don't get that girls idolize these girls who dress and act so horribly.
My idol was Mary Lou Retton (Yes I just gave away my age). I wanted a gold medal in gymnastics too.