Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Picture Paints a Thousand Words

I know everybody knows this picture. It is probably the most recognized images from the end of World War II and I have always loved it. Taken in Times Square, at a time when huge celebrations took over cities at the end of war. I felt like something similar to that happened after it was announced that Osama bin Laden was dead Sunday night, but not on the same grand-scale.

A little information on the photo:
  • There has been great controversy over who the two people are in the picture, but is now accepted that it was Glenn McDuffie and Edith Shain
  • They were strangers, and the sailor grabbed the nurse in excitement and kissed her for a photographer
  • It's called V-J Day in Times Square, though it has had various titles
  • It was published in Life Magazine in 1945
The point of all of this... Glenn McDuffie was on my flight to Dallas on Thursday evening! He was a cute old man, and was telling the flight attendants and people around him all about the day and the famous picture. Apparently, he does speaking engagements all over, which is amazing because of his age. He was pretty old but still had it all together!

I thought that was pretty cool!

ERK

4 comments:

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

How cool to have met him! I'm sure he LOVES telling the ladies he is the man in the picture!

Miss Southern Prep said...

I love that picture! I didn't know that they didn't know each other--I assumed that they were madly in love! That's so cool that you got to meet him!

Jen said...

I will always love that picture!! Such an amazing classic!

Happy Wednesday Dear! xo

Katie said...

thanks girlfriend for the nice comments! You should add your email to your profile so that I can email you back that way and respond to your comments :) Hope you have a good day!