Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Some Things you NEED to Know

Since I am now a very old and mature 23 year old {insert sarcasm here} I thought I would share some things I have learned over the past 23 years with y'all! Get ready for a completely random list that is not in any sort of order.
  • Drunk Facebooking is NEVER a good idea.
  • Don't mess with all of the fancy equipment at the dentist. Trust me, that stuff is tricky and no matter how tempting it is to touch those instruments when the hygienist leaves the room, don't do it. (I think I was about 8 when I learned this one)
  • Living off a diet of Chick-fil-a and Mexican food sounds great in theory, but in reality it is no bueno, especially for the hips.
  • Sometimes love goes away. You can still love a person without end, but the whole "in love" part is no longer there. It's tough to let it go, but it's for the best. (I love this Billy Currington song, and it describes this well)
  • Along the same lines, the pain from a breakup won't last forever. I remember crying for months after a few breakups, but I always met someone else. There are sooo many fish in the sea, and I know God has the perfect love for me.
  • Credit is not free money. Have I said this before? I think so.
  • WebMD was the worst invention ever. I admit that I am a serious hypochondriac and I always self-diagnose.
  • If you make a mistake, apologize, try to rectify the situation, then move on. Don't beat yourself up over it forever. (I still have a really tough time with this one)
  • Don't compare yourself to others, it will, undoubtedly, make you feel bad every time. No need to keep up with the Joneses, they aren't that cool anyway.
  • Try really hard in school. One of my biggest regrets was goofing off in high school and my first 2 years of college. That isn't to say I did badly, but I know I could have done better. I am so happy I am going to GA State next year, but it would have been a confidence booster to have gotten in to a school like Harvard (only joking, but maybe UGA would have been nice, or even my Alma mater (can you sense some resentment?))
  • Spending time with my family and my sweet puppy are way better than going out every night. I have learned this lesson many times, but the hangover is just NOT worth it!
  • Similarly, there is no cure for a hangover other than time. Trust me, I have tried every cure in the book and they don't work. (If you are interested in some of my "hangover cures" email me, some may work for you haha)
  • Hair is no big deal. I know most girls are serious about their hair (read "freaks"), but I just don't care much. I often wear my hair in a pony and I have cut it 3 times for Locks of Love (14", 12", and 13"). I think that having hair is great, because so many people lose theirs due to cancer and other illnesses, so if I get a bad haircut I think of that and take it in stride.
  • Going out to a nice meal with friends or family is more worth the money than a new purse/ pair of shoes.
  • Never pay full price for anything. Ever. I know you can find something just as good, or even better, for a cheaper price!
  • Always wear SPF.
  • Clothing size doesn't matter, all that matters is if it fits.
  • Write thank you notes for everything. People appreciate it and they will always think highly of you.
  • When you are invited for a dinner party/ drinks/ a cookout, always take something. It can be anything from wine and cocktail napkins to one of your signature dishes.
  • Tell people you love them.
  • Gossip gets you in trouble. Don't say things about others that you wouldn't say to their faces. (Another one that is a work in progress)
Do y'all have anything to add to my list? Please share!

ERK

4 comments:

Madeline said...

Wonderful insight! WebMD seriously makes me really paranoid. And sometimes "in love" does just end.. :( but it doesn't always have to be sad.

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

This list is perfect! I love your combination of funny lessons as well as more serious ones!

agalandherdog said...

Great list!

Sam W. said...

i love all these!! great tips, you young wise woman :)